Sunday, October 12, 2008

Starting a new sweater for Emily


This is going to be a new one like the red one I made last winter. I put it on her the other day - because it was suddenly quite cold - and it fit her perfectly, even though she has grown. I made that same sweater several times in the past for my girls and for a niece. It's definitely one of my all time favorite patterns. Of course I've only made it for girls, but now I have a new little grandson. I think it would work just fine for a boy, but the boy's parents might think otherwise.

Yarn - 4 ply or fingering - sock wool is fine, but anything that gets a 7-8 inches per inch tension
needles needed to get that tension, two sizes - one for ribbing and one for the main knitting

For this sweater I'm using Sirdar Snuggly 4 ply - starlight


My needles are a 2.5 mm needles and 11 UK needles (3 mm I think)
Neither of these have an American equivalent.
Just get your tension right on whatever needles you have.

Size: this will be a size 2, from the late 1970's
In other words, it fits snugly.

Back: Cast on 89 stitches on the smaller needles.
Work for 16 rows in 2/2 ribbing.
Change to the larger needles and work in stocking stitch for 48 rows.
armhole: Cast off 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. (81 sts)
Then decrease 1 stitch at the beginning of the next 18 rows. (63 sts).
Now work in stocking stitch for the next 26 rows.
slope the shoulders:
row 1: cast off 6 stitches, knit to the end.
row 2: cast off 6 stitches, purl to the last 2, then purl 2 together through the back of the loop.
row 3: ssk, then cast off 4, then knit to the last 2 stitches and knit those two together.
row 4: purl 2 together, cast off 4, purl to the end.

Place the remaining 39 stitches on some kind of stitch holder.


Sleeves:

I am making both of these on the same needles, or at the same time.

with the 2.5 mm needles cast on - - stitches from one ball of wool, and then -- stitches from another ball of the same wool. Then work in 2/2 ribbing for - - rows.

No comments: